Agriculture and SAU
• Agriculture contributes around 21% to the GDP;
• The foremost objective of Agriculture in Pakistan is to ensure adequate production and availability of food for the population and provide livelihoods to people directly involved in the sector along with the value adding chain.
• The objective can be achieved when all the stakeholders play their role in an effective manner;
• SAU is the only Agriculture University in Sindh and is located at the heart of the Sindh Province
• A wide range of expertise is available at SAU including Agriculture, Horticulture, Engineering, and Livestock and Poultry.
• These expertise can be utilized to help the Sector in achieving the desired results at Sindh Level.
• Provide a platform for effective interaction between Sindh Agriculture University Scientists and Farming Community;
• To disseminate scientific knowledge related to agriculture to farmers through ICT;
• Plan and test various farming interventions at farmers’ field with participation of farmers;
• To provide assistance to the farming community at their doorstep through well-established farmer advisory and extension services; and
• Conduct periodic farmer training and field days to acquaint them with modern technology for increasing production on sustainable basis.
• Technology Diffusion and Adoption
• Research and Development
• Linkages Development
• Trainings, Workshops, Seminars, Farmers Festivals etc.
Bridging Gapes between SAU and Farming Community
• Crop maximization programs
• Sustainable agriculture through fellow farmers
• Farmers empowerment through capacity building
• Effective communication skills
• On-farm demonstration
• Development of Farmers Groups
• Conducting seminars/workshops
• Gender development through Women Extension Services
• Agricultural Information Services